Energy Transitions: Ongoing in the EU and Emerging in China
Research has started on the significance and implications of energy transition and its drivers in different contexts.
Focusing on electricity, issues include:
- how grid infrastructures can become the backbone of a decarbonized and decentralized system including integration of renewables,
- new approaches required to implement flexible investment strategies in a context of increasing share of capital components of energy costs, leading to reduced marginal energy prices and the consequent need for new pricing structures and long term arrangements,
- the potential of wholesale and retail markets to facilitate the transition,
- technological development,
- transformation of power companies, in terms of both organization and business models.